Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Past Moves Forward

Typed this up a few days ago, but haven't got around to posting until now. Might do another morer ecent post later today. Zoe's home sick, so I'm trying to get caught up on everything I need to get done.
Haven’t blogged in awhile. Been too busy, haven’t felt inclined to sit at the computer and type, nor have I had the time really. I shall start with some books I think are really great, lol. That are borderline fiction/non-fiction. Well I guess they’re fiction, but based around actual things/events.
First…
“The King’s Daughter” by Suzanne Martel. About an orphan who is sent from France to The New World (North America) to be a bride for a stranger. It’s a short book, by my standards anyway, but I love it nonetheless. I WILL eventually own this book…
http://www.amazon.ca/Kings-Daughter-Suzanne-Martel/dp/0888993234
“Goodnight, Mr Tom” by Michelle Magorian. Another very loved book, that I usually read a couple times a year. About a young boy who is sent out to the country during World War II. It has a couple very sad sections, but overall I think it’s a fantastic book. Obviously eh, since I read it so frequently, lol.
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Mr-Michelle-Magorian/dp/006440174X
“Uncle Tom’s Cabin” by Harriet Beecher Stowe. First read this in gr 8. I don’t reread very often, it’s not a “happy” book, but fantastically done. It follows the path of slaves who are either sold or run away, to the various points their journey takes them, good and bad. It’s a really good book for looking at slavery.
http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Toms-Cabin-Bantam-Classics/dp/0553212184
“Gully Farm” by Mary Hiemstra. A look at the life of early settlers to the Canadian prairies. This book is non-fiction, written by a woman whose parents moved them from England to the Canadian prairies when she was a little girl. Is a really good book. I found it interesting to ‘see’ how things were not THAT long ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Gully-Farm-Homesteading-Canadian-Prairies/dp/B000RTTGJU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242072822&sr=1-6
“Invitation to the Game” by Monica Hughes. A great (although quick) book to read. A look at the possible future, where unemployment is so high, kids go straight from school to the streets. I always enjoy it, and anything by Monica Hughes actually, she’s a very good author, especially for younger people in my opinion (as that is generally the age group they are written for in my opinion)
http://www.amazon.com/Invitation-Game-Monica-Hughes/dp/0671866923/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242073981&sr=1-1
my hands are getting too cold to type, air conditioning must be blowing Right on them, Brrrrrrrrrrrr… so I’m going to save here and find something else to occupy the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment